Summer is almost here. Many schools have already released students for the summer break. Make sure your community knows that fire does not take a summer break. Share these fire safety messages to remind children and their caregivers to have a fire safe summer.
• Make a home fire escape plan and practice it at least twice a year with your children.
• Have a fire escape plan for young children who cannot get outside by themselves. Talk about who will help each child get out safely.
• Children should know what to do when they hear a smoke alarm and there is no adult around. Help them practice going to an outside meeting place.
• Teach children to never go back inside a building that is on fire.
• Keep children 3 feet away from anything that can get hot.
• Keep smoking materials locked up in a high place.
• Never play with lighters or matches when you are with your children.
Message brought to you by the U S Fire Administration